Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Writing Prompt (That You Can Do While In Your Jammies) from Tara Lazar


NORMALLY, I would have a review today, as it is Reviewsday Tuesday. But I am switching things up a bit to celebrate the Book Birthday of one of my favorite New Jersey Conference Friends, and one of both my and my daughter's favorite Authors....TARA LAZAR. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NORMAL NORMAN (Available now). 
As the Founder of PiBoIdMo and a prolific writer with three books out and more on the way, Funny Author Lady Tara Lazar hardly needs to introduce herself, so she got right down to the fun stuff:


I want you to come up with a very common situation that kids find themselves caught in. They don't like a teacher. They find a frog down at the pond and want to keep it. Their parents have a baby. They aren't allowed in their sibling's tree house. They lose a favorite toy. Now, take that situation and make the main character something else. NOT A HUMAN. A robot, an alien, a bear, a dragon, a dodo bird, heck, even a firetruck. How would that situation change? Turn it on its head.



NOTE: This advice is coming from an expert on turning it upside down. Be sure to check out Tara's other books, The Monstore, I Thought This Was a Bear Book and Little Red Gliding Hood

Tara Lazar writes books for kids...in her jammies. Being a children's author is the best job in the world because you get to make kids smile and laugh (and their parents, too). 








Her newest release is NORMAL NORMAN, out March 1st from Sterling. A young scientist tries to define the word "normal" with the help of her exceedingly normal subject, Norman. The key word here being TRIES. Who says you can define "normal" anyway?








* T A R A   L A Z A R *
Funny Author Lady
Founder, PiBoIdMo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                           
Picture Books:
NORMAL NORMAN releases March 1st from Sterling!
...also...
LITTLE RED GLIDING HOOD (RH, 2015)
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A BEAR BOOK (S&S, 2015)
THE MONSTORE (S&S, 2013)

10 comments:

  1. Great advice, as always, we continue to learn from Tara's talent as she generously shares her process and techniques!
    Thanks, Tara and Lynne :) Another fun book is out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks for visiting My Word Playground, dear Rosie! Always glad to hang with you and Tara even if it is Cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!! Thanks for the inspiration, Tara & thanks for sharing this, Lynne Marie :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very welcome, Maria Gianferrari -- and thanks for visiting My Word Playground!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun little prompt. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the prompt! So glad I popped over to the playground!
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always glad to have you Girls here at My Word Playground, Mona and Della!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopped in to play. I hope that's okay? Love the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun prompt. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Tara and Lynne Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course, @Sue Frye -- it is great to see you HERE at My Word Playground, and I love your little rhyme! @Judy Sobanski, you are very welcome! Have fun trying the prompt!

    ReplyDelete