Friday, January 26, 2018

PPBF: I Will Not EAT YOU by Adam Lehrhaupt & Scott Magoon (Review by Lynne Marie)

TITLE: I Will Not Eat You
AUTHOR: Adam Lehrhaupt
ILLUSTRATOR: Scott Magoon
PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster
IMPRINT: Paula Wiseman Books
EDITOR: Sylvie Frank
YEAR: 2016

JACKET FLAP: Theodore thinks EVERYTHING is a potential meal. Until something NEW approaches his cave. A BOY. Has Theodore found his favorite food? Or something more?

SNIPPET: Theodore lived in a cave. It was a quiet cave and that's the way he liked it. 

For those who are studying the art of writing for children, the above beginning is what is called, "the ordinary world." It is a great way to ground, and also start, a story, as long as you show a crack in it.

Here it comes.

One morning, a bird flew up to the cave. It tweeted and squawked at Theodore.  Tweet. Tweet. Squawk. Squawk. Tweet. 

Theodore thought. Does it want me to eat it? 

An so this is the inciting event that initiates Theodore's story problem, which just gets bigger, and bigger, despite Theodore not being hungry and also attempting to ignore these problems.

For me, this is one of these books that you have to read several times to appreciate just how superbly clever and well done it is. Everything in it is planted (although subtly) in the beginning and important to the story, and every thing plays out as perfectly as it should. I am thankful to have had the fortunate opportunity to see Sylvie Frank discuss this book in a presentation at SCBWI Miami.

And I LOVE the ending. Pick up a copy and read it for yourself.

Please do leave your thoughts as to what YOU think about this book in the comment section. This is a fun one to discuss.

RATING: 4 Stars

12 comments:

  1. This does sound like a clever and unusual story with a great message! Like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, until the end, Patricia T. (LOL). Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Oooohhhhh, I've got to find this one! It sounds brilliant! Thanks for the rec. That covers just slays me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it @Jilanne Hoffman. Let me know!

      Delete
  3. I had the pleasure of ‘luring’ a young customer into reading this with me at the bookstore where I work, and experiencing his sheer delight and excitement as he tried to convince me to go straight to the end and see what was in the cave! It was a blast! Need to d that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, what fun! Thank you for sharing your story, @Julie Rowan-Zach! And thanks for stopping by My Word Playground!

      Delete
  4. Lynne, I am unfamiliar with this one. But I will seek it out at the library. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great example as a subversive mentor text. Thanks for stopping back, McMarshall.

      Delete
  5. I love clever stories. I am excited about this one! I just put it on hold at my library. Thanks for this recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy, @books4learning! Let me know your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to see this! Love the cover and premise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely stands out from the rest! LOL @BethAnderson.

      Delete