Friday, February 15, 2019

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY: Heather Macht's The Ant Farm Escape


Story behind the story: The Ant Farm Escape!


By: Heather Macht

I typically like spending my Saturdays in bookstores or in libraries, reading through new picture book releases. Not only is it fun, it’s definitely an important part of a picture book writer’s job! You have to be aware and kept up-to-date on what’s selling and being released.
One particular Saturday I was reading through construction-themed books including Mighty Mighty Construction Site (Sheri Duskey Rinker) and Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night (Brianna Caplan Sayres). Since my son, who was 4 at the time, happened to be big into bugs – including ants – I started imagining hard hat and tool-belt-wearing ants building their nests with tools in hand on the pages. I even started to hear little rhymes form about these super-strong ants!

With this idea in mind, I went home and started writing The Ant Farm Escape!, and researching all about ants, because I LOVE STEM tie-ins and wanted to include some fun facts!  The cool thing is, in researching ants, I found out that worker ants, the ants that do all the digging, building, heavy lifting, and hunting in their colony are ALL FEMALE! In fact, ants are a matriarchal group of insects, completely run by tough females.  How did I not know this before?!

Within a week I had a completed manuscript to send off to my critique group and start querying.  The exciting part of this process was #Pit2Pub just so happened to be close by to my story’s completion. With that in mind, I went ahead and got my pitch ready.  When the day arrived for #Pit2Pub, I pitched this, got a request from Pelican Publishing (who encouraged me to include even more STEM facts in my MS).  After some minor edits I submitted the revised story to them.  The rest is history!  I got offered a contract on this story within a month of submitting it to them. 

I’m so excited that they picked it up, too!  They had such a fun direction and paired me with a wonderful illustrator. They were a pleasure to work with too, might I add.  Altogether, this was such a fun story to research and write; I’m so glad I took the trip to the bookstore that morning. 😉


Bio:

Heather Macht is the author of The Ant Farm Escape! (Pelican, 2019), Rex the...We-Don't-Know (Pelican, 2019) and You May Just Be a Dinosaur (Pelican, 2015). 
     
Macht has a degree in Fine Arts, is an active member of the SCBWI, and is the Assistant Administrator, the Newsletter Coordinator, and a volunteer judge for Rate Your Story. She loves spending her Saturday’s in bookstores or in libraries with friends.  
     
Macht’s happily married and currently resides in Florida next door to a quiet beach.  When she's not writing, Macht enjoys painting, reading poetry, and watching scary movies with her husband and children. 




Website:

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/AuthorHMacht

FEEL FREE TO CHECK OUT OUT OUR OTHER GUESTS Here: 
https://literallylynnemarie.blogspot.com/2019/02/master-list-2019-story-behind-story.html

*.*.*.*.*

PLEASE follow this blog by Clicking the Blue Follow Button in the Upper Right and/or subscribing to e-Mail notifications by entering your e-mail address in the "Subscribe Via e-Mail" box below. 
Thank You for your Support!

2 comments:

  1. Researching is truly a rewarding experience and libraries/bookstores are perfect places for ideas. I salute you for your hard work and determination too. Thank you for sharing your story behind your book. More blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by My Word Playground, Alicia! Be sure to follow the Blog by clicking on the Follow button!

      Delete